HHMI Gilliam Fellowships - Nominations Due Oct 11
9/25/2018 11:06:40 AM
Dear Directors of Graduate Study, Executive Officers, and Graduate Contacts,
The Graduate College is accepting departmental nominations for the Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study. Offered by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), Gilliam Fellowships support underrepresented PhD students, and their advisors, in the life sciences and related fields. The program aims to ensure that a diverse and highly trained workforce is prepared to assume leadership roles in science.
Award Amount: Gilliam Fellowships provide $50,000 per year, for up to three years. Annual benefits include:
· $33,000 stipend for the student.
· $3,000 educational allowance for the student.
· $4,000 educational fund for the advisor, for use in promoting diversity and inclusion.
· $10,000 cost-of-education allowance for the institution, used in lieu of tuition and fees.
Eligibility: Gilliam Fellowships are open to eligible pairs comprising a thesis advisor and a PhD student ("student-advisor pair"). An eligible student must be:
· A US citizen, US permanent resident, or DACA recipient.
· From a racial, ethnic, or other group underrepresented in the sciences (African-American, Latino/Hispanic, Native American/Alaskan Native, or Native Hawaiian/US Pacific Islander) OR an individual with a disability.
· In either the 2nd or 3rd year of doctoral study.
· In an eligible life sciences or biomedical sciences discipline: Applied Mathematics, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Biophysics, Botany, Cell Biology, Chemical Biology, Chemistry, Developmental Biology, Engineering, Evolutionary Biology/Systematics, Genetics, Genomics, Imaging Sciences,Immunology, Mathematical & Computational Biology, Mathematics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Nanotechnology, Neuroscience, Parasitology, Pharmacology, Physics, Physiology, Plant Biology,Population Biology/Ecology, Structural Biology, Toxicology, or Virology. MD/PhD students are not eligible.
Nomination Procedure: The University of Illinois may submit two student-advisor pairs for consideration by HHMI, and the Graduate College will select those pairs through a campus competition. Each eligible department may submit up to two nominees for the campus competition, and the nomination deadline is October 11, 2018at 5:00 p.m. For details on the nomination process, visit the HHMI Gilliam Fellowship listing in our Fellowship Finder database. The listing also provides additional information on the goals of the program, eligibility, and evaluation criteria.
Please share this information with graduate students and faculty in your unit. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Ken Vickery, PhD
Director of Fellowships
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign